Sig 229 Review - SIG SAUER, INC. has introduced the P229 Single-Action-Only (SAO) pistol as a new addition to its Legion line of firearms. There are only 5 model numbers of Sig Sauer pistols made for the Legion series: P320, P226, P220, P938 and P229. And in early 2020, only 8 models of the Legion series are offered. This new 229 SAO Legion pistol was specifically chosen to be one of them, and according to their website, only three 229s of the 8 Legion series were made. I wanted to shoot and evaluate the new P229 Legion SAO Compact 9mm for concealed carry.

Legion is a high-quality product line developed by SIG SAUER "based on input from elite shooting professionals and designed to exceed the expectations of the serious shooter." These pistols are in high demand and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a new 2020 production to review and share with you. You can compare this Sig Sauer P229 Legion Compact SAO review to my pistol analysis, comparison, and ranking of 21 other concealed carry pistols in my book Concealed Carry and Handgun Basics.

Sig 229 Review

Sig 229 Review

229 Legion Compact SAO 9mm specifications and features are first listed below. Then I give you 10 criteria by which I evaluate all guns. Finally, I present my analysis and how I specifically rate the gun against each of my 10 criteria for recommending or not recommending it. As always, set your own criteria and priorities, do your own research and check my data, information, etc. for your personal selection process.

Sig Sauer P229r+surefire X200b Review

Here are just 10 of my criteria and factors I use to evaluate any pistol, so I will apply them to the 229 Legion SAO. In addition to my criteria, there are some subjective features that may be of interest to some, such as certain style, magazine release position, action, caliber, appearance, number of magazines included, sights/changes, bore axis, rail, grip angle, no carry. Or include extras like carry, wallet and purse, customer service, etc. That's why I combined them into my final various criteria. I have to admit that all weapon selection decisions involve trade-offs, but I really want all of my criteria to be met. I assigned a total possible score of 10 to each of my 10 criteria for a total possible score of 100 points. Of course, you can add your own additional criteria and preferences or subtract any of mine.

Recognize that there are multiple features, characteristics, pros and cons, and personal criteria to include and consider, and that you make trade-offs based on your priorities, preferences, defined needs, and usage.

In order to help you and myself evaluate this pistol for concealed carry, I was eager to fire it and see if it actually met or exceeded my ten criteria. I use Pace Florida's excellent Santa Rosa Shooting Center to train students and shoot my test guns. Thanks for the great opportunities. Big thanks also to Sig Sauer for providing quality ammo for my testing and evaluation of this 229 Legion SAO. Without a doubt, this compact pistol was a joy to shoot and showed my accuracy very well. I fired several hundred pistols for evaluation and carry, and this 229 Legion SAO was one of the best, if not the best SAO compact 9mm. I appreciate its amazing trigger, almost 4 pounds of pressure, very short reset, and fantastic accuracy even for older pickaxes. I can honestly say that this 229 Legion was the shortest out of the box reset I've ever shot in SAO. The short reset and almost 60% reduction in distance traveled definitely helps with quick extra shots. Below are my ratings for each of my 10 Sig 229 Legion SAO criteria. I was considering it for a concealed handgun and home defense. I wanted to measure the gun and thoroughly inspect it for flaws, breaks, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, and my other criteria.

There were no malfunctions or stoppages and overall this gun performed great. It digested a variety of ammo, including Sig Sauer FMJ balls and V-Crane JHP rounds in 115, 124 and 147 grains. I was pleased with the very little bounce and slight face lift. The gun's weight helped with its accuracy, minimal movement, and my low perceived recoil. Once I put the slide on, it was easy and smooth to handle like butter, and it was so easy to insert and release the pencil from the tab. And the mag falls out of the mag quickly and easily. It worked extremely well. I was very impressed with its short, smooth, light and crisp single-action trigger pull. And the grip and ergonomics were great for me. It was very comfortable in my hand and the texture and material of the medium aggressive G10 grip was just right for me. The grip felt just right for my average sized hands. This is a gun I will definitely be purchasing and will be in my concealed carry rotation. Below I will elaborate and provide my opinion on each of my 10 criteria to support my excellent claims for this 229 Legion SAO compact after my hands-on range testing.

Review: Sig P226 Legion Sao

Sig Sauer P229 Legion SAO Rapid Fire Target Hits Draw with Sig FMJ and JHP Ammo at 7 Yards

Using my 20 second concealed carry drill with 5 circle targets and 15 rounds at 7 yards, accuracy was very acceptable and the target was hit. However, try to make decisions based on your abilities and skills.

The accuracy of the 229 Legion SAO was excellent for me at 7 yards. This gun will get the job done without any adjustments. After full precision, all my hits were within 5 rounds of my Call Ben's Secret Carry Drill and 20 seconds of my draw. This old coder was happy and the cannon did most of the work. Of course, the light trigger pull and weight of this single-action pistol at 4.10 pounds greatly reduced my movement and greatly improved accuracy. I used my modified isometric stance, two-handed grip, and quickly fired from the draw.

Sig 229 Review

The trigger pull averaged about 4.10 pounds with 10 readings from my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge. It was nice and not too light for a pistol for me; I regularly train with a 1911 single-action pistol and appreciate the short and light trigger pull. I like my carry guns to have a maximum pressure of 6.5 pounds or less, so this press was great. I would buy this gun and use it for concealed carry, home defense and fun.

Sig P229 Open Front Magwell (steel)

The trigger had a tactile and very identifiable click with a very short reset. I liked the short, light and positive reset of its very sharp trigger. My shot was consistent every time, and I could easily identify the short reset point for quick subsequent shots with this custom Master Shop flat trigger. I really enjoyed shooting this smooth trigger as it is one of the best triggers I have ever shot. A soft and short SAO trigger that you usually pay a lot more for.

The 3.90-inch barrel features durable and rust-resistant carbon steel combined with single-action-like performance that pairs well with its low muzzle flip and recoil. The steel barrel was of high quality with obvious stiffness to reduce vibration. In my limited experience, carbon steel generally contributes to longer barrel life due to its excellent cooling properties, excellent heat transfer, and resistance to heat and corrosion.

The bright green tritium front sight is well matched with the tritium dots on the rear. I can easily pick up sights in both daylight and darkness. The size of the bright green dot on the front was perfect for me. The rear sight helped when I was practicing the one-handed rack. The green front sight really stands out on this colorblind shooter. And most shooters would rather go green than red. Out of the box the sights were fine with no adjustments. The scopes were great for me and really helped my shot placement.

The total unloaded weight of 32 ounces was a little on the heavy side for the week I wore it. But I'd argue that the added weight has advantages in perceived recoil, muzzle flip, and accuracy. For me and my carrying frequency, routine and goals, this weight was not an issue. I think most carriers will understand how the benefits outweigh this slight increase in weight. I'm willing to compromise that quality for my concealed carry pistol. Try carrying a gun with that weight for yourself. This weight is definitely acceptable for me.

Sig Sauer P226 E2 Review

This 9mm pistol was easy and comfortable to shoot. I have 9mm

Sig sauer 229 holster, sig 229 equinox, sig 229 .40, sig 229 vs 226, sig 229 holsters, sig 229 laser, sig 229, sig sauer 229 accessories, sig 229 holster, custom sig 229, sig 229 shoulder holster, sig 229 357